After installing the inwales I turned my attention to the decks. As usual, I pretty much followed the words of wisdom found in Canoecraft.
I glued the inwales in a couple of weeks ago. I haven’t updated the blog because I’ve been going full-tilt on the canoe every chance I get, and I’ve been having some family fun camping in BC!
I managed to get the first seat joined and glued last night. I opted to try and do mortise and tenon joints.
I finally finished scarfing the gunwales. My second attempt went very well, but one joint got a piece of dirt or debris in it.
This past week’s goal was to scarf the gunwales. I cut the scarfs using a sled based on the one shown here.
The gallery below has some pictures from my trials and tribulations in fiberglassing the inside of the hull.
The weave is mostly filled and I’m leaving it like this.
The past couple of days I finished fiberglassing the inside of the hull of the canoe. It was really difficult but I also learned a lot.
Whew, it’s been a while since I’ve added any information. I didn’t do much work on the boat during the summer.
Inspired by the wooden kayak cradles made by Ross Leidy, I decided to try and make some myself. BTW, check out Ross’s great website.
I made some good progress with the kayak last week. I put in fillets and taped all the seams on the underside of the deck.