After installing the inwales I turned my attention to the decks. As usual, I pretty much followed the words of wisdom found in Canoecraft.
I glued the inwales in a couple of weeks ago. I haven’t updated the blog because I’ve been going full-tilt on the canoe every chance I get, and I’ve been having some family fun camping in BC!
The gunwales are a work in progress while I wait to get a hold of a drill press so I can add some decent drain holes/slots.
I managed to get the first seat joined and glued last night. I opted to try and do mortise and tenon joints.
The gallery below has some pictures from my trials and tribulations in fiberglassing the inside of the hull.
The weave is mostly filled and I’m leaving it like this.
I finished scraping the inside of the hull this past weekend. I enjoyed this part of the build, as it didn’t involve any epoxy or electric power tools (ie ROS).
To scupper or not to scupper, that is the question…
I think a scupper might look good, but I’m not fond of the idea of buying a core bit so I can route out scuppers.
I’m half finished the scraping inside the hull. I would guess I have about 3 hours left on the other side of the hull.
Sunday was sort of a big day for me, as I finally got to take the Freedom off of the strongback.
With the stripping done, the next task was to attach the outside stems. First I trimmed the strips flush with the stem along the leading edge.